Faculty and staff may refer students to the WRC for additional writing support outside the classroom. Through our Student Referral Program, students will have weekly appointments on the same day, at the same time, and with the same WRC tutor for the remainder of the semester. During these appointments, students agree to:
- participate actively each week in a consultation with an assigned WRC tutor.
- bring assignments, related course materials (as well as any instructor or peer feedback), research, and writing to every consultation.
- write, revise, and practice between appointments. While weekly sessions are helpful, implementing the practices on their own is essential.
- forfeit referral privileges if they miss two appointments or cancel three. After this point, students may only receive walk-in appointments.
- arrive on time for appointments. Appointments are held up until 10 minutes after the hour. After that time, the appointment may be given to a walk-in client.
- share a copy of the weekly WRC “Client Report Form” with the instructor.
- give us feedback before, during, or after each session. If the tutor has been particularly helpful in some way, or if students were dissatisfied with some aspect of their experience, we encourage them to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- check their UNC Charlotte email often for any changes regarding the referral.*
*In the event a student’s scheduled tutor is unable to meet, every possible effort will be made to schedule an appointment time with an available tutor. It is rare that we have to cancel appointments due to unforeseen circumstances, but if this occurs, students will be notified via their UNC Charlotte email as soon as possible.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FACULTY/STAFF
To refer a student through the Student Referral Program, please follow these instructions:
- Before scheduling a referral appointment, the student must be registered in our online scheduling system. Visit our Scheduling System to register, or to check if your account is active.
- Together with the student, print out and complete the Student Referral Request. All fields must be completed and then hand-delivered to Cameron 125 in order to be processed.